3/15/13

Spring Clay Pots with a Surprise (Dirt Cake)

Rapidito en Viernes=Quicky Fridays

Hola amigos! Hope you all had a great, healthy and productive week! Today I'm bringing you a little treat perfect for Spring, Easter, Birthday party..the sky is the limit when you are using your imagination.
It all started with a trip to the dollar store where I purchased everything I needed for this dessert. 1 bag of candy turned into 2, 3 ...well they kept multiplying,...and believe me when I tell you guys, I just went in for a big bottle of Iced Tea...oh well...since I can't bake or use fondant just create pretty things with icing...I figured, why not use what is already there to treat my guys with something festive for spring.
Here is how you make the Spring Clay Pots with a Surprise:


1 box of chocolate cupcake mix
4 little containers of chocolate pudding ($1 for 4 at the dollar store)
1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
1 cup of boiling water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsps vanilla butter food flavoring
transparent tumbler cups
non toxic brown paint

 Assorted Candies...don't forget to include gummy worms

First bake your cupcakes according to instructions. Even though I used cupcake  mix I baked mine in a 9 inch baking pan. 
While your cake is baking. Prepare the tumblers by painting the outside of them in brown paint. Let them dry.
See little helper...he was working hard on hid clay pot!

Some of them I only painted half (for the surprise)...there is a method to my madness folks!

Prepare your unflavored gelatin. By adding the boiling water to a container with the gelatin and sugar. The gelatin should dissolve in 5 minutes. Add the vanilla butter flavoring. 
Distribute evenly in 4 tumblers. Put a couple of gummy worms inside. Place in the refrigerator to chill and set.

Once the gelatin mix has set, take some pudding and add it to each tumbler, as much or little as you want, I used 1 full pudding cup per tumbler, but that's just me.
Take a slice of your chocolate cake, crumble it and fill up the tumblers to the top with it!
Listo, it's time to use your imagination to decorate your clay pots!


Worms coming out of wet dirt (the wet effect is chocolate syrup)

A bunny and it's carrots in a field of greens...happy as he could be!

A little nest with twigs dusted on early snow...so sweet!

And a bouquet of flowers ready to be picked from your personal clay pot..

and oh, it you were wondering about the surprise...here

My little one was thrilled to find "critters" coming in and out, and swimming underneath all that dirt in his clay pot, oh and they refrigerate well too!

Hope you like what I've brought you tonight. May all of you have a wonderful and blessed weekend.
Remember everything tastes better, with a Pinch of Love!

Besitos,
Lizy

39 comments:

  1. Everything came out just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made dirt cups before - but nothing as cute and special as this! I love the sweet way you made them into gardens - and of course, your "surprise" is very clever and would delight any little boy - or girl! I'm thinking of my grandkids of course...thanks for a really great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are precious. The kids will love them - making them and eating them!

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute, clever painting the plastic ups! love the worms and all the fun candies in the different "pots!"
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenna! I truly appreciate your comment and your visit! with those candies decorating is easy...Thank Goodness for that! :0)

      Delete
  5. Lizbeth, these are so cute and how adorable would these look on the table for Easter or a Spring dinner! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend! ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog.....following you now! This post is so cute! I used to make worms in dirt for my son's birthday parties. These are great for Spring and Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much AnnMarie! So sweet of you to visit and follow! I feel blessed! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. How adorable this is!! Very creative!!

    Stopping by from Submarine Sundays!

    Frances
    @ www.notionsfromnonny.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Frances! I pinned your recipe for Santa Fe Chicken Crock Pot! yummy!

      Delete
  8. These are absolutely adorable! I love the winking bunny and the radioactive worms! My kids would love these! Thanks so much for linking this up at this week's FESTIVE FRIDAY FIESTA!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I am reading your post, I am amazed at how cute and unique each pot was! I was eagerly anticipating the "surprise" at the end.
    Super fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so Much Chica! Awesome to have you here!

      Delete
  10. How fun! I love how these turned out! So fun for spring and Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So darn cute! I love all of the variations. My kiddos would love a surprise like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your pots and the name of your blog too. Everything is better with chocolate and I am your newest follower.

    Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun! I love the creative toppings and the radioactive worms would be a fun surprise! They turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kids would love this! It would be great if you could share this at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/03/what-i-am-eating_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum~~ Thanks for sharing at SAturday Dishes http://www.callmepmc.com/2013/03/saturday-dishes-brunch-recipes-call-me-pmc.html Pinned! ~ Paula

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh these are just adorable!!! and so Yummy looking :) Thank you so much for linking up with us at "it's a Spring Thing"
    Pinning this :)
    xo
    Angelina

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love this and you are being featured today!!! lol

    http://bowdabrablog.com/2013/03/18/7-eggcellent-easter-crafts-and-easter-recipes/#

    Congrats! Susie @Bowdabra

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable-dirt cups are a favorite around here and these are way cuter than anything I've ever made. My fave is the winking bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! These are adorable and creative! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!!!

    T'onna

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are adorable!!
    We would like to invite you to share this at our party that is live now: http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myrna, for your visit and the invitation..would love to stop by!

      Delete
  21. Oh, these are so adorable! I just pinned. I love them. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! So thrilled you shared with us! Happy Friday!! YAY!! :)
    hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute and fun!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh these are the cutest version of dirt cups I've ever seen I love it definitely pinning

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were featured at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop and I just posted these on Facebook and pinned them!!! Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop!!

    Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely fantastic! What a great idea. Love they way you decorated the tops, too - and love your photos. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are just the cutest! What a fun idea for a spring party or Easter party! Thank you so much for sharing at the WCFS Awards, I will be featuring you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh! So cute! I love the worms in the bottom...cute idea.
    Thanks so much for linking up at Real Family Fun.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, this is beautiful, just the perfect easter gift! Thqank you so much for this wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! and thanks for visiting! Happy Easter!

      Delete
  29. These are so cute! Love them. Hope you have a great Easter & thanks for linking up & sharing @ DearCreatives.com

    ReplyDelete