8/29/13

Easy Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja Recipe

Easy Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja Recipe, Enjoy the flavors of Latin America with this savory dish! Comfort food Latin Style!
Hola Amigos! This is a super easy, crock it and forget it recipe for Flank Steak. It's based on a traditional Latin dish called Ropa Vieja or Ragged Clothes. My mom makes the best Ropa Vieja ever, and for 10 years now I haven't had the "real stuff" like I like to call it, sad, I know. No matter how much I've tried I just can't make it exactly like hers, so I gave up and decided to wait till my mami cooks some for me and made my own recipe.

There are numerous versions to this dish, mine has only a few ingredients and that is what I really love. Lots of flavor, very little effort. The key is the day before you know you are going to cook your Flank Steak, Season it! It will pay up with taste I promise you!

My other favorite ingredients are easily found on the Latin isle of your grocery store, Mojo Criollo, Sazon with Coriander and Annatto and Recaito (cilantro base). These ingredients will put the Latin flavor to your beef and every meal without the typical Mexican seasonings most people are used to.

The best way to eat this savory dish is with a side of rice and a side of black beans and plantains! I couldn't find any plantains at my store when I was about to make it (now there's a ton) but just the black beans and rice are heavenly.

Now if you are my husband, then you skip this and go straight for a bun and cheese! Hey, I won't argue, as long as it gets eaten I'm good...(he wouldn't be able to do this to my mom,  though,  lol )

Have a great weekend friends and remember everything tastes better with a Pinch of Love!  and the hubs just added...and a bun!

Besitos,
Lizy

Easy Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
Ingredients: 
1 (1 1/2) Flank Steak
1-2 Cloves Garlic mashed
Salt, Pepper
1 Large Onion, sliced
1 Orange Bell Pepper, diced*
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced*
1/2 Cup Goya Mojo Criollo
3/4 Cup Beef Stock
1 Flavor Packet Sazon Goya with Coriander and Annato (Achiote)  
1 TBSP Goya Recaito (Cilantro Base)
1 TBSP Ketchup
Cooked white or dirty rice
Cooked Black Beans 
* Red is ok too.
Directions:
The day before you are going to cook your Ropa Vieja, season the flank steak  by rubbing it with the mashed garlic cloves salt and pepper, put a zip lock bag in the refrigerator until the moment you are ready to cook it.
The next day, put your flank steak in the crock pot with sliced onions, orange bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, Mojo, stock, Sazon, Recaito and ketchup. Place lid and cook for 4 hours,
Once it's done, shred the beef using 2 forks and mix it up with the remaining of the cooking sauce. Garnish with some diced peppers and serve with a side of rice and beans. Or if you choose on  a bun with cheese.

Prep Time: At last 3 hour seasoning          Cook Time: 4 hours                 Serves 4



Sharing some Latin Flavors at these Fabulous Parties:
The Best Blog RecipesHome Maid SimpleOne Tough Mother504 MainKitchen Fun with my 3 SonsSimply DesigningThe Answer is ChocolateLiving Better TogetherThe Jenny EvolutionThe Pin JunkieNot your Ordinary RecipesA Peek into my ParadiseSunny Simple LifeDiana RamblesTatertots and JelloThe Wondering BrainNap Time Crafters30 Handmade DaysJust Us 4Five Days 5 WaysFrugal Fit FamilySix Sister's StuffIt's OverflowingA little ClaireificationBe Different Act NormalWhat's Cooking with RuthieSerenity YouFunkie Junk InteriorsAngles HomesteadSewlicious Home DecorSpatulas on ParadeLife on Lakeshore DriveTwigg StudiosFlamingo ToesSuburbs MamaEMMTwelve O EightUnder the Table and DreamingVMG206Titi CraftyThe Chicken ChickPursuit of Functional HomeLines AcrossHuckleberry LoveCraft-O-ManiacSumo's Sweet StuffSay Not Sweet AnneFlour Me with LoveDIY Home Sweet HomeAlderberry HillBoogieboard CottageSew Can DoThis Gal CooksjembellishA Pinch of LoveHun..what's for Dinner?Adventures of a DIY MomThe Shady PorchLady Behind the CurtainI Gotta Try ThatTable for SevenMemories by the MileWith a BlastNot Just a HousewifeAll She CooksKitchen Meets GirlThank You HoneySmart School HouseGinger Snap CraftsThe Everyday HomeMy Girlish WhimsCozy Little HouseClean and ScentsibleShaffer SistersWhite Lights on WednesdayThe 36th AvenueFluster BusterThis Silly Girl's LifePolkadots on Parade733 BlogSNAPWhat is Cooking Love?The Real Housewives of RivertonThe Mandatory MoochReal CoakeMade to be a MommaI Gotta CreateLive Laugh RoweLamberts LatelyCreative GeekeryThe Brambleberry Cottage52 MantelsSaving 4 SixFood Done LightThe Crafty BlogstalkerConsidered Me InspiredJennifer RizzoSimple Dream and CreateHouse of HepworthsThe Girl CreativeCindy's Recipes and WritingsMy Turn (for Us)Rattlebridge Farm, Chef in TrainingMy Mixing SpoonsHome Stories A to Z


Other Panamanian dishes you might like:

24 comments:

  1. Holy cow that looks delicious! Pinning this immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have guessed this recipe was from you when I saw it on the link list! I will never forget the day last August when I made ropa vieja for my man while he was at work. His face lit up when he walked inside and smelled it! I actually think I haven't had it in over a year, even though it's super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ropa vieja, Liz! The same happens to me, when I cook it, it doesn't taste the same as when my sister does! Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to follow it. Por supuesto con arroz y platanos :) Aunque de vez en cuando si la sirvo en un bun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! It reminds me of my favorite dish at a nearby Cuban restaurant we love! Clearly, you're a wonderful cook. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, there are a couple of "Cuban staples" that BB never learned to cook- and ropa vieja is one of them!! Gracias for the easy recipe, it's time to add this to my repertoire. BB2U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You my Dear BB! You know I appreciate and value your input greatly !

      Delete
  6. I really love this dish. I am glad I found the recipe. Thank you! Pinning!

    Ellya
    @CuriositaEllya

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a perfect Saturday meal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds awesome. I'm all for it, with or without the bun. I was thinking I'd throw it in a tortilla :)
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I'm going to make this for my arepas! (And after I get a slow cooker, lol). Amazing recipe- can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks terrific. What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing. it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl I just need to take a break from visiting you. You always post the most yummy items!!!

    Oh man the boys will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh that looks so good! Pinning this to my food board! Thanks for sharing it at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow...that looks good! thanks so much for linking up wake up wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!! I haven't made this dish since recipe. I LOVE how you cooked it in the slow cooker... makes life (and cooking!) so much easier! Thank you for linking up to Wake up Wednesdays! This recipe is pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for an easy and delicious looking recipe. I love my crock pot and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks for linking up with Foodie Friends Friday! Sharing this on my Walking on Sunshine FB page today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, I need to try this! My husband grew up in Venezuela and we always order Ropa Vieja when we visit a Venezuelan restaurant. I've made it once and it was fantastic... must make this again soon! Thanks for the great reminder Lizbeth! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome Mackenzie! Like a said most of our South American and Caribbean countries share the same recipes and they are soooo good! Another blogger from Colombia, mentioned the same thing to me...oh and a lovely lady blogger from Cuba said it too! So happy my Ropa Vieja has found a home away from home among my readers! Thanks

      Delete
  18. This looks great!! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday linky party!
    Jenny
    www.inthekitchenwithjenny.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Ropa Vieja - but haven't had it in ages! I need to put this on the menu soon! Thanks for linking up to All My Bloggy Friends :)

    ReplyDelete