11/29/12

Mi Escalerita=Happy Banister


Do you decorate your stairs and banister? It could be tricky spaces to decorate, not because they are  too big or complicated but because after all is a functional space. I've seen a lot of decorations on Pinterest placed on the steps of the stairs. Even though I think it's very pretty and packs a big visual impact, could you imagine going down stairs for a glass of water and tripping on your luminarias? all the way down??? Yikes...only if you want to spend the Holidays in a full body cast!!!

While on Pinterest, I found the answer to my wishes here! This lady, Joy,  did such an amazing job with her banister. It's inviting, beautiful and elegant!!! Everything on my wish list! I decided to give it a try.


As I told Susan, the lady who writes the wonderful blog where I found the original picture, this was to me a painful labor of love...oh yeah...I think I have a whole new respect for ornament hooks. As I grouped some of the ornaments in sets of 3's wrapping them around the pine wreath was beyond prickly! I stop counting how many times "the hooks" got me after I had every finger of my hand sore and said No More (for that night), lol


Following along with the Candy theme in my home, the colors were selected to resemble peppermints of all shapes and forms.


It turned out to be quite heavy, the Hubs had to help me put it together and making it secure enough for little hands and paws not to knock it down.


I also added peppermint ribbons to give the garland a little more texture.

It took a couple hours of work to finish this little garland, I'm so happy I don't live in one of those palatial homes with endless twisty stairs (sigh).



Here are the stats:
(2 )6 feet wreaths with lights
175 ornaments
20 yards of ribbon
(1) set of left over outdoor white lights with 500 little lights!...yeah 500 give and take a couple burnt out, which I didn't notice  until after they were all wrapped around the garlands (fail oops!)..I don't think you can tell, right?

I hope you enjoy my little project of love and try it on your home. It really brings a nice little glow at night and cheer with bright festive colors at daytime!


Besitos,

23 comments:

  1. Wow, Lizy, this is amazing! You did such a beautiful job! It's wonderful! A Christmas fantasy come to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Susan, I hope Joy likes it and is happy to see how her beautiful garland inspired the one at our home! Hugs

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank You Martha and Thanks for stopping by :0)

      Delete
  3. I found this via BNOTP. My banister is about 1/2 the size of yours. I never decorated it much but I'm going to use yours as inspiration & use blue and white for Hanukah as well. Your's is pretty complicated. I love how you mixed ribbon & all the other items. Mine will be a lot more simple but for a first time this is a wonderful example. I hope someday I'll decorate nice enough to want to post it. And yes, I got a lot of ideas on Pinterest. I do appreciate your practical advice as well. Going to keep it simple. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this lovely design b/c I follow BNOTP. I never decorated my banister much before. I am going to use yours as a basis for 1 this year. I'm going to use blue and white for Hanukah as well as lots of "old decorations" and various items I have. It will simpler than yours & smaller b/c my banister is smaller. I hope someday I decorate something good enough to post. I also found a lot of decorations on Pinterest and appreciate your comment about practicality. Have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, Thank You for stopping by and your kind words! I would love to see your banister decorated for Hanukah. The vintage ornaments you are planning on using would be such a nice and personal touch. Please feel free to send me some pictures once you are done! To You and Yours, Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  5. So festive, bright and cheery! Love how this looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness--this is just magical! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Shannon! I love your creations and blog! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  7. I love how full the garland is. So very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Dawn! I'm glad you liked it! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  8. Just stopping by from the WOW party to see up close how pretty this garland really is on your banister! I just love it! It looks like a candy Christmas wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Many Thanks and Thank You for visiting my little piece of Blogland! Happy Holidays to you and Yours!

      Delete
  9. what a festive garland! it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Thanks for linking up @ DearCreatives.com Inspiration Spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful....I love this idea. Thanks for linking up with Foodie Friends Friday

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautifully decorated banister! Thanks for sharing this project at The Pin Junkie. It was featured in today's Christmas decorating roundup. http://www.thepinjunkie.com/2013/12/christmas-decorating-ideas.html Hope you can stop by and grab a featured button and be sure to share your best Christmas crafts at tonight's party for another chance to be featured.

    ReplyDelete